Published 2 years ago
- musicals conceived as 'pure entertainment' - the prime determinant of them.
- What the musical is assumed to be, how it is entertainment, is decided by the people responsible for providing it in concrete form.
- descriptions of entertainment as 'escape' and 'wish-fulfilment' point to its central idea, utopianism. The utopianism is contained in the feelings it embodies.
- music as a non-representation icon works as we are emotionally moved by it, but its the least obvious representation of reality.
- Tap dancing, as an example, works not because of the music and rhythmic movement, but because of the signs in a given culture at a given point of time.
- The specificity of entertainment's utopia comes to the temporary answers to the inadequacies of society which is to be escaped from through entertainment.
- examples of social tension and utopian solution
- Scarcity = abundance
- Exhaustion = energy
- Dreariness = Intensity
- Fragmentation = community
- Consider that the problems of class, race, and sexual caste are denied validity as problems by the dominant.
- "entertainment provides alternative to capitalism which will be provided by capitalism". Through capitalism, we are able to see the possibilities of a utopian society, but it's not given to us.
Three forms of musical: clear separation of numbers and narrative, those that retain division between narrative as problems and numbers as escape, world of the narrative as utopian.